Halloween Ghost Sando
Ingredients: makes 4 sliders
- 4 brioche slider rolls, sliced in half
- 8 oz. frozen Kabocha squash
- 4 small purple potatoes, like Vitelotte
- ¼ onion, sliced thin
- 2 leaves leafy lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 strips bacon, cut in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- Store-bought black writing gel for cakes
- Slice onion thin. Fill a small bowl with water and add onion. Let sit for 5 minutes. Drain and remove the excess water with a paper towel. Set aside.
- For Kabocha Salad: In a microwave safe bowl, place kabocha squash and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Heat in microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until the kabocha is cooked through. Remove the bowl (caution: the bowl is extremely hot) and drain any excess water. Mash the kabocha with a fork while hot. Mix in half of the onion and add 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise. Set aside.
For Potato Salad: Prick the potatoes with a fork. In a microwave safe bowl, add potato and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Heat in the microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the bowl (caution: the bowl is extremely hot) and drain any excess water. Peel the potatoes and mash with a fork. Add the rest of the onion and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, cook bacon and set aside.
- How to assemble the sliders: On the bottom of the slider roll, place lettuce, half of the kabocha salad mixture, and a piece of bacon.
Top with the other side of the slider roll. Make 2 round cut-outs from swiss cheese using a cookie cutter. Place over the slider, and pipe black dots with writing gel. Repeat the procedure. (For potato salad, use potato salad instead of kabocha, then drizzle mayonnaise over the salad.)