Ingredients: 4 buns
4 bao buns, steamed according to package directions
1 lb pork belly slab
1” chunk fresh ginger, sliced
– 3/4 cup water
– 2 Tbsp sake or white wine
– 2 Tbsp soy sauce
– 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 fresh red chili peppers, sliced
- 1/2 c. cilantro
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Slice the pork belly into 3/4” pieces. In a pot, bring the water, pork belly, and ginger to a boil over medium heat for about 30 minutes. (Add extra water as needed.)
- Remove the pork from the pot, and take out any excess water with a paper towel. Reserve ¾ cup of cooking water and set aside.
- In another pot, add all of the ingredients for the sauce, the pork, and reserved cooking water. Heat on high and cover with a lid once it starts to boil. (Cover it lightly, not completely) Cook on low heat for 1 hour. Set aside.
- For the vegetables, sprinkle 1 tsp of salt over the carrot slices and let it sit for 10 minutes. Take out any excess water and set aside.
How to assemble:
– Place 1/4 portion of carrots to the bun, then the slice of pork belly on top.
– Top with chili, cilantro, and drizzle it with mayonnaise. Sprinkle peanuts as an option.