Sandwich Cake with Prosciutto and Vegetables
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 8 slices of Japanese Shokupan (milk-bread) for sandwiches*
- ¼ cup broccoli florets
- 1 Persian cucumber, vertically sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 red cherry tomatoes and 3 yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 slices of ham
- 6 pieces of prosciutto, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp. canned whole corn
- 2 figs, cut into quarters
- One 8oz package of whipped cream cheese
- 5 Tbsp. Kewpie Mayonnaise
- Trim the crusts from the bread slices. Spread 2 Tbsp. of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Set aside.
- Boil water in a pot and blanch the broccoli for 10 seconds. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise with the shredded carrots. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the cream cheese and the remaining 2 Tbsp. of mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Assembly: Start with a slice of bread. Top with half of the carrot mixture and then another slice of bread. Layer with half of the sliced eggs, followed by another slice of bread. Add half of the ham and cucumber, then cover with a slice of bread. Repeat this layering procedure. Once all layers are assembled, place the sandwiches side by side to form a rectangular “cake”.
- Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over all sides of the “cake”. Decorate the top with broccoli, prosciutto, and corn.
- Serve immediately.
* Can be found at Japanese grocery stores or bakeries. Can be replaced with thinly sliced white bread.